As more people explore the unique effects of delta-8 THC, it is becoming clear that the most popular way to experience this hemp-derived cannabinoid is by vaping it. Delta 8 vape oils are out-performing other delivery methods, largely because they are easy to use, fast-acting, and uniquely potent.
Delta 8 vape oils also come in a wide range of varieties, including different strengths and flavors. But the most exciting way in which delta8 e-liquids vary from one another is the strain. The strain of the hemp plant refers to its breed, with each one displaying a unique chemical composition that has a distinctive configuration of terpenes. Terpenes are secondary compounds in hemp that promote specific effects while also determining the flavor and aroma of each strain.
Why Can Delta 8 Vape Oils Contain Terpenes?
The buds of the hemp plant naturally offer a rich array of cannabinoids and terpenes. When taken together all at once, offer a more powerful experience. Each strain of hemp, with its distinctive arrangement of terpenes, has unique properties, which is why so many people seek out specific strains for their needs. For instance, some strains may be more calming, which is great for those who are trying to deal with stress. Other strains may be more suitable for pain. The properties of the strain have a lot to do with the levels of individual terpenes inside the buds.
Delta 8 e-liquids are inhaled, just like the hemp flower. Only, the delta-8 has been isolated and concentrated so that its psychoactive properties can be felt. Therefore, to make the experience more well-rounded, terpenes are extracted from cannabis and added to the vape oil, which allows the user to experience both this unique cannabinoid and the terpenes associated with a particular strain.
When you shop for delta 8 vape oils, you’ll find many familiar-sounding strains. It is because the terpenes added to the d8 vape oil are derived directly from a particular strain. This creates the same effects. Hemp manufacturers use advanced methods for extracting the terpenes directly from popular strains and combining them with the delta-8 extract.
Categories of Strains
There are three categories of strains which you can find easily on the delta-8 market. Each refers to the general effects of its strains, as determined by the terpenes.
- Sativa: Known for being more energizing. They have fewer calming terpenes and more uplifting terpenes which may help motivate you while increasing creativity and energy levels.
- Indica: More calming and relaxing, because they are rich in terpenes that are known for these properties. Also commonly associated with evening use and are popular for sleep.
- Hybrid: Result from a breeder combining an indica with sativa using breeding methods. This allows for a strain that has traits of both sativa and indica, therefore offering a balanced experience that’s neither too energizing nor too calming.
Most Popular Cannabis Terpenes Found in Delta-8 Vape Oil Products
Now, let’s go over specific cannabis terpenes that are commonly found in popular delta 8 e-liquid strains.
- Myrcene: A prominent cannabis terpene that is responsible for determining the difference between an indica and a sativa. It’s renowned for its soothing, relaxing properties, and indica strains have higher levels of myrcene, whereas sativa strains have lower levels. Myrcene may also offer anti-inflammatory properties. It’s also present in parsley, thyme and ylang-ylang.
- Pinene: Gives cannabis its pine-like flavor. Pinene is a terpene that may offer pain relief, while also boosting the mood and potentially energizing the body.
- Limonene: Also prominent in citrus, this is a terpene with a bright, zesty taste, and gives cannabis its lemony notes. It’s known for potentially relieving stress while lifting the mood, making it great for those who are trying to unwind. It is also antifungal and antibacterial.
- Linalool: Also is associated with the lavender plant, it is great for anxiety as well as pain, and its calming effects are great for sleep.
- Eucalyptol: Often associated with eucalyptus, eucalyptol is a terpene that is found in hemp, which is often noted for its analgesic properties and ability to stimulate the mind.
- Beta-Caryophyllene: This terpene has a peppery taste, which explains why some strains have a particularly spicy note. It has been used medicinally for centuries thanks to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that are commonly used for pain relief.
- Terpineol: Terpineol is prominent in many plants and has a lime-like flavor. It is commonly associated with the couch-lock effects of indica strains, and it does have sedative properties.
- Borneol: Sharing much in common with menthol, borneol has a minty smell and flavor, and is usually used for stress relief.
Strains and Terpenes Really Do Make Delta-8 Vape Oils What They Are
While we focus a lot on the cannabinoids in hemp, and for good reason, the terpenes can be just as important. Especially, if you desire a specific strain to address your needs. The terpenes above are present in many popular strains of hemp. Also, how they are arranged is dependent on the strain itself. If you wish to explore what these compounds can do for you, seek out a strain that offers the right balance of terpenes according to your delta-8 goals.